Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Cynicism

I quite like cynicism, heres an excert of a post I came across here by the legionnaire - a religous studies post grad I met on a Youth Union camp.

Our music is disposable; we have no legendary stars. Our counter culture is over-the-counter culture, sold to us. Our activism makes little or no difference. Our environment continues to sicken, poverty is still getting worse. Here in New Zealand, being at University isn't usually about learning for the sake of learning, it's about starting a career, getting a job, making an investment for our future. I have half-baked theories that I can barely summon up the motivation to share with like-minded people at sit-around-and-bitch activist meetings. Even typing this up is an effort.

5 comments:

George Darroch said...

suits me. I've been feeling pretty cynical lately!

jo said...

hey! (i was thinking to meself) that sounds like the chch-fems...oh wait it is!..could be why I'm splitting. I just wanna do shit, not sit around talking about it.

John said...

yea, I completely agree, at the same time the work you do has to be productive and sutainable.

jo said...

Productive and sustainable, possibly, though more about just wanting to mess up the masses of advertising propaganda that is so glogging up our minds and the entire world, chch needs more street art ;-)

John said...

Awesome! It always make me smile to see any sort of subversive/anticapitalist stuff around.

I was more thinking along the lines of all the depressing meetings I somehow get involved in.