Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Transforming the suburbs

Sorry for the break in posts recently things have been fairly flat out, Im doing a bit of design and implementation of gardens and home orchards for a few people and have received a couple of unsolicited expressions of interest in developing gardens including a local school. My garden is looking great but I have filled up all my current garden beds and the lawn is looking more and more tempting. I’m still thinking about how to turn the pool into a pond and will probably begin working on this within the coming months. As I begin to fully utilize the horizontal space I’m being forced to use more and more vertical space particularly for storage with my garage roof covered in tyres bamboo and other building materials which aren’t needed at the moment. I’m beginning to grow a bunch of fruit tree’s both to plant around my area and to distribute to anyone wanting to start backyard orchards.

The meeting of the urban sustainability group went very well on Sunday with about 12 people turning up to the Unitec gardens. A mixture of experienced and new permaculture practiotioners we toured the Unitec gardens before sitting down to talk about what we were passionate about and wanted out of the group. It was decided that regular tours and working bees will be held at propertys around Auckland. Everyone seemed to be on a similar wavelength after talking we made compost and did a bit of planting.

The next meeting of the group will be on Sunday the 3rd of june at Horizon gardens 16 Erson Ave Royal oak. A tour and working bee will be followed by a potluck.

No comments: